0. pre-requisites for Android development on linux
i am using the following platforms and environments. i shall guide you through the setup process of Android ADT Plugin for Eclipse
i have used
OS: Linux Ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala
Java: Java 6 JDK
SDK: Android SDK r05 from the site developer.android.com
IDE: Eclipse 3.5 galileo
ADT: AndroidDevelopmentToolkit plugin for developing android apps on eclipse - ADT 0.9.6
1. setup JAVA and Eclipse on your linux machine
for android development, you need to have the JAVA Development Kit installed on your machine.
to setup JAVA on your linux machine for android development-
1. go to terminal
2. command "sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin";
3. command "sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk";
4. follow instructions and your JAVA environment for Android Development will be created
If you are on a x86_64 system, you must also install ia32-libs by the command:
"sudo apt-get install ia32-libs"
Eclipse is the most recommended IDE for android development. all resources and tutorials of Android in developer.android.com refer to the usage of Eclipse IDE. Nonetheless, developers can choose to use a different IDE out of their own comfort.